Sunday, September 13, 2009

Lemon Posset

This technically isn't baking, but I thought it'd be a nice addition anyway. I was making the Chocolate-Peanut Butter cupcakes and they're topped with ganache. Since heavy cream generally comes in a larger container than you really need for just ganache, I went searching for something that called for it. I love creme brulee, but I wouldn't have quite that much cream left over, not to mention that's pretty heavy on the cholesterol.

So I turned to the ingredient search on Allrecipes. You can tell it what ingredients you have, it'll tell you recipes that include them. It's a great tool, particularly when you're craving something but want a new way to use it. Or when it's still two days away from grocery shopping and you're desperate to use whatever is in your freezer.

This particular search gave me Lemon Posset. Score. Three ingredients: heavy cream (this was the point), lemon juice (had some in the fridge, personally squeezed by me), and sugar (I'm a baker, this is always around). Heat the sugar and cream, add lemon, refrigerate. Easy as pie. Or easier, since pie can be kinda tricky. I added some lemon zest while the cream and sugar were heating and a little less sugar, both suggestions from other users on the web page.

The lemon dessert was chosen because the hubbin loves lemon. About the only way I really like it is in water, which he won't touch. Odd, no? But I thought it would be a nice consolation prize since he got to clean up the kitchen after I wreaked havoc for three days straight in there.


The verdict?


"It's lemony." I suppose I should take that as a complement. And a warning to not ask the hubbin' for his opinion in the future. I also got a request to leave out the lemon zest since it apparently annoyed him. Wimp.

I got a taste myself though and I have to say it was pretty yummy. Not pudding like at all. The flavor was nice and deep and rich thanks to the heavy cream. It's the flavor I like so much in the creme brulee. I'm thinking you could even through some sugar on these and break out the blow torch (I tell people I have a blow torch, but it's really just one of the little hand-held guys to caramelize sugar) and make a "brulee" since you don't stick these in the oven.

So not too bad if I do say so myself, and a great way to use up those leftover ingredients from baking that would just go bad otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment