Sunday, April 24, 2011

How much booze can you fit into a cake?



I decided to find out with the help of Captain Morgan. :) The answer is: not enough to get a buzz. But it turned out yummy. A friend and coworker hosted a Mardi Gras party and I volunteered to bring a cake (duh). It gave me an excuse to bust out my cake sprinkles.


Going with the Mardi Gras theme, I decided the cake needed some serious booze. As luck would have it, one of my favorite bloggers posted a recipe for Pina Colada cake. I colored the cakes purple and green (to go with the color scheme). Once the cake was done, I brushed on coconut rum. As much as I could add without making the cake soggy. And I whipped up a batch of coconut buttercream, using coconut milk in place of the normal liquids and coconut extract in place of the normal vanillla. And rum, lots of rum. :)



Then of course lots of gratuitous purple, green, and gold/yellow decorations. And sprinkles. And I found a great excuse to pick up some gold dragees (yay!).



The mask is made of gumpaste and then handpainted.



No comments:

Post a Comment