Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Puppy dog Tails


We had to say goodbye to a special doggy recently. It was hard, but she lived quite a life. I picked Mackenzie out from a photo- we were working at Wal-Mart and a coworker just ended up with puppies. We'd just moved out into our house and were looking for a dog. When Mary showed us the pictures of all the puppies, I fell in love with a little one that was pure white except for a big spot over her eye. I declared that she looked like Spuds Mackenzie (don't judge, I was a child of the 80s) and the name stuck.
 (see, totally sorta)

When we went to pick her up, a fat little puppy sat himself under the hubbin and we figured that two dogs would keep each other company when we weren't home, so we brought Buford home too. The hubbin picked out his name and he couldn't have done it better. And these two were inseparable for over 11 years. Buford took such good care of her.


I always joked that Mackenzie was more cat than dog because she obviously came with nine lives. I can't tell you how many times she just nearly died (hit by car, drowning, hanging, and flying roofs), but even those nine lives have to run out sometime. 

We have an amazing vet that saw Mackenzie through the last two years. When Kenzie was sick, it was nice to have someone who knew her crazy history and understood where we stood in terms of treatments. And she was there with us through the very end. 

I had to bring Buford in just two days later, so I wanted a way to thank the vet and her staff who have treated Mackenzie so well and so kindly this whole time. So of course, I had to make cupcakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment